How To Install Lightroom Presets & Adjustment Brushes
IMPORTANT: This tutorial is NOT for installing our mobile preset to your phone. If you purchased a mobile preset pack from us, please refer to the installation PDF guide included in your download zip file.
Welcome to Dreamy Presets, your one-stop destination for premium Lightroom presets! If you’re landing on this page, it may be your first time installing Lightroom presets. But we’re here to show you that it’s an easy and straightforward process that should only take a couple minutes.
If you didn’t purchase Lightroom presets from us, please feel free to skip directly to step 4.
What's your Lightroom version? If it’s Lightroom 5-6 or Classic Lightroom CC, please continue reading. If you're using the All-New Lightroom CC, please click here for instructions.
Prerequisite: Please extract the zip file you downloaded, and then copy the entire preset folder from within the main folder. If you’re using a Mac or PC, you can extract the zip file by simply double-clicking on it.
- With Lightroom open, from the main menu, select "Preferences"
- The Preferences window will appear, click on Show Lightroom Presets Folder.
- Double click on Lightroom Folder
- Double click on Develop Presets Folder
- Paste the preset folder (from step #3) or preset files in the Develop Presets Folder.
- You’re all done! Simply close Lightroom and reopen it. Once open, all your Lightroom Dreamy Presets will appear under the Presets Pane organized by the collection name.
Questions You May Have (FAQs)
- Where are my Lightroom presets? When you click on the download link, the .zip file is automatically downloaded to your computer’s default “Download” folder. Please navigate to that folder to locate the file. All of our preset collection files have the following naming convention “DP .zip”.
- Why should I copy the preset folder instead of the .LRTemplate files? This is purely for organizational purposes. By copying and pasting the entire preset folder, all of your presets for that collection will be organized in the Preset panel. This makes them easier for you to reference and use, but you may opt to paste the .LRTemplate files if you prefer.
- How come I don’t see my presets after I have installed them? Make sure you restart Lightroom after you have installed the presets. Your presets should show up under the Preset panel. If you still don’t see them, check to make sure your presets are in the “Develop Presets Folder”, as they will not show up if you place them in another folder.
- Can I layer the presets? Yes, most of the presets in our collections can be layered. The only exceptions are the Mood and Tone presets, which will override each other because they utilize similar settings (but with different values) to create a unique color profile.
- Can I install Lightroom presets in the mobile app? Unless your purchase our mobile presets, our desktop presets can only be installed in Lightroom desktop versions.
Start with a mood filter or tone preset
We recommend that you always start with one of the Mood filters OR Tone presets (depending on your collection) to set the color and style of your photo. You can then layer with other presets (Spotlight, Sharpen, Light Source, Skin Soften, Vibrancy) to refine the look. If your photos are already warm or cool to begin with, you can select the Neutral or opposite tone to counteract this.
Photos too dark or bright?
If the presets applied look too light or dark, you can use the lighter version of that preset (marked ‘+’ or ‘++’). You can also manually adjust the Exposure setting in the Basic Module on the right-hand panel.
Photos Too Yellow or Blue?
If the presets appear too yellow or blue, you can adjust the Temp Setting (Treatment panel) to correct the white balance under the Basic Module.
How can I add more depth?
To add more depth to your photos, increase the Contrast or increase the Black levels in your photos. These two settings are under the Basic section of the left-hand panel.
Photo too sharp?
GGo to the Sharpening panel and under Amount, move the slider to the left until you reach the desired result. You may also need to reduce the amount of Clarity in the Presence panel.
Need editing inspiration? Check out our Customer Photo Gallery and see photos edited by our customers using our Lightroom presets collections.